Thursday, January 10, 2013

Problems With MLM Skin Care Companies

I am getting ready to review  a MLM skin care product, the rep tells me that this product line is different, and I am going to inquire about her background and training. It concerns me because I just read a post from another MLM company that is selling a personal galvanic device. A person asked the question "Can I use galvanic if I am pregnant" and the rep (or company) told her "yes" but they don't recommend without consulting her doctor (trying to reduce their liability). I think the number one question on state boards for the questions that come from facial machines is if you can use galvanic treatments on pregnant people or braces. NO, the answer is no.

It concerns me that these MLM companies are doing a fast food quickie training of their reps and then sending them out in the world with questionable protocols at best. These people give facials, and skin care advice yet they don't have real training nor do they carry liability insurance (that I am aware of) which  can end badly for some consumers. As estheticians, especially ones that hold a membership with a skin association, you take an oath "to do no harm" and that means making sure we are practicing within the scope of our licenses, and taking special considerations for our clients' skin care health. While none of us is perfect, and we all make mistakes whether we are licensed or not, the fact is these beauty consultants are doing harm to the general public by educating and working on consumers who trust them to be experts in the field, when they are anything but. If these people want to run legitimate and successful skin care businesses working as a skin care rep for an MLM company by all means they should, but they should legitimize themselves first by getting an esthetics license.

Just my take, I don't want to bash all the reps out there, but it is hard to take them seriously.

Grace Riley author of JumpStart Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

No comments:

Post a Comment