Sunday, June 24, 2012

How to Get an Esthetics Internship

Many newly graduated estheticians complain it is tough to find an esthetics job; some say that employers will not hire them without experience. How do you get experience if no one will give you a chance? This seems to be a common problem in the field, leaving new graduates holding a piece of paper that doesn't seem to help them achieve the success that they had worked so hard for. What can you do as a student to catapult yourself into estheics success? ASK, ASK, ASK--Success won't drop into your lap...you've got to pound the pavement and make it happen.

(1) Call, e-mail or better yet visit area spas and ASK them for an internship opportunity.
(2) Ask your instructor if you can volunteer extra hours to work in your salon reception area.
(3) Ask your instructor for a letter of recommendation for an internship.
(4) Many instructors have friends in the field--ASK them to recommend you.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Grace,

    So glad I found your blog. My name is Gabriela and I'm reinventing myself after over two decades.

    I plan on "knocking at some doors", but what about letters to prospective employers? I'm 47 years old, have been licensed for 21 year but am TOTALLY out of practice. In other words, I need training from scratch. I'm older so it should come faster to me, but I still need to "get on that bike again and learn how to ride."
    What are some of your suggestions in writing this letter? I'm willing to start anywhere WITHOUT pay. The experience is my priority and I'm not quitting my day job just yet. Experience is key for me at this point.

    I look forward to hearing from you. I'm really excited about this.

    -Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabriela,
    Due to the length of your question, please message me via Grace Riley Esthetics at https://www.facebook.com/grace.riley.5 so I can answer your question properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabriela,

    I'm in a similar situation as Grace except that I have been out of the field a after graduating in 2008 and I've gone back to the books and have given a facial here and there. I need some advice if you don't mind. I'd like to get back in but have no real world professional experience. What's the best way to get started again?

    ReplyDelete