Friday, January 18, 2013

Esthetician's Corner: Question of the Day

 Esthetics career question from a reader-
 
"Having read your book and blog, I feel there's some genuine interest in young estheticians and students. I am then taking the liberty to write directly to you.
I am 40 and mother of two young kids. I have a Masters in Communication, a desire for more flexibility and a long-term love for skin care.
I guess my question is the million dollar question. Is esthetics a field to get into, especially amid a job market that can't seem to get its act together? I am terribly afraid to study and then come to the realization that without experience, in today's market there's almost no chance. I am not interested in short-cuts and I am a serious student/professional."
 
Paige, from Long Island
 
Dear Paige,
The job market is not good at all, and luxury services are being cut out, especially in economically hard hit areas. With that being said, there are still spas opened for business. Women who do have the money for luxury services are certainly seeking them out. If you live in a wealthy city and/or an area with an older population your options are better.
There are also many ways you can carve out your niche in this field. You can be an instructor, make-up artist, waxer (work for a wax franchise doing just waxings) and medical esthetics (working for a doctor). I can't tell you an exact salary because it depends on where you live, what type of place you work at and how many products you sell.
You asked if esthetics is a good field to get into in light of the economy, and I think that is very personal to you. Do you have a spouse with an income that can help support you while you get your foot in the door? How much money do you NEED to make? Do you want a flexible schedule? Do you LOVE skin care and helping people? You also have to enjoy make-up and waxing too depending on where you work. I can't tell you what career will work for you, but I can tell you if this has been a life long dream and you can afford to do it, then why not?
In terms of getting a job after you graduate, it can be tough fresh out of school, but I give tips in both my book and blog on how to overcome that. You've already been through school so you are familiar with how to do a resume and present yourself at an interview.
The bottom line is you have to make this very personal choice for yourself. For me, I've wanted to do this my whole life and my passion has never died. I think you have to do what is best for your heart and your family. It is my love, my passion and I can't imagine doing anything else. Good luck to you and please e-mail me back and let me know what you've decided and where you decide to go to school.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment