Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How To Grow Your Esthetics Business Before You Graduate


I remember when I was in school,  our teacher told us that we had to bring in our own clients to work on. I immediately felt a flash of heat blazing my skin, twisting knots in my stomach and hearing the fearful sound buzzing around the classroom. Our teacher was bombarded with a lot of complaints and frustration, and every one wanted the school to advertise for us. We all just assumed the school would advertise, but we were required to hit the pavement and get students in our clinic. Our teacher said something very powerful, she told us that in the real world whether you work for yourself or a spa, the fact is you will have to bring in clients, period. There is no sugar coating that reality. It was absolutely no easy task, as our class was at night and we only had a certain period of time we could invite people to come in for services. The task seemed daunting, even unrealistic given our inexperience in the beauty industry.

At the end of the year, a lot of students were behind in their services and they had to rush to find ways to meet those clinic services, but I found a way to drum up business without doing too much work. I created a newsletter of esthetics tips and product information,and I tried to send this out on a regular basis to my group of contacts. In addition, every time I spoke with my acquaintances I would some how divert the conversation back into skin care, and I created a buzz, and soon I had a nice following who remained with me after graduation.

 Creating a newsletter is a great way to educate your current clients and/or potential clients on your services, and more importantly your knowledge.How do they know what they're missing until they read your newsletter?  What makes client come to you in the first place? Knowledge. They think you can help them with their skin issues, and that newsletter is a statement of your knowledge and what services you can provide them. Potential clients might not even be aware of some of the services you can perform, or how they can improve their skin. A lot of people don't realize there are solutions to their skin problems until we make light of the issues.

The newsletter is a powerful tool in building your esthetics practice, it gets your name out there and potential clients thinking about what you can do for them. It is prudent to consider creating a newsletter now while you're in school and create excitement about your new career, get all your contacts thinking about what you can do for them, and maybe after you graduate you will have a nice following.

Grace Riley author of JumpStart Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

No comments:

Post a Comment