Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Esthetics: Melasma Cures

       I am hesitant to use the word "cure" in the same sentence as "melasma." The reason being is that I don't know of any absolute cures for melasma. There are many products on the market that can reduce the visibility of melasma--my favorite is Obagi, which has to be purchased through a doctor. It is a full skin care system, but my favorite product is Obagi Clear. It seems to gradually smooth away the dark spots.
       Another favorite, more expensive option is laser photo facials. I have had a 50/50 shot with laser success. At one doctor's office I saw minimal results at best, at another doctor's office I literally saw my skin get darker, crispy and finally those dark spots shriveled up and fell off to leave me with fresh, new skin.
     In my opinion, the best way to eradicate melasma is by doing this tri-combination plan: sunscreen, laser, and a skin systems like Obagi. This is going to give you the best results. Some people recommend microdermabrasion, I can't say that I have personally had any success on my own skin or client's skin with microdermabrasion, but that doesn't mean it doesn't add benefits.
    Many skin care companies advertise that they have high concentrations of  hydroquinone (skin bleaching agent) in their products, but I can tell you in this lifetime I have wasted lots of money on junk products that lack the effectiveness needed to combat those brown spots.
  So what should you recommend for your clients? It all depends on the severity of the melasma, but I think a three pronged approach is best: Sun Care, esthetics, and dermatological care. Your clients need to be vigilant about using sunscreen and hats because they are already susceptible to melasma, secondly they need to get regular facials and use at-home skin care, and thirdly they need to work in collaboration with a dermatologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment