Monday, June 25, 2012

Esthetics Career Guide

Our past always seems to unfold in our current lives no matter how much we try to suppress it. Even though I left my human resources career long ago, it seems to intersect in my esthetics career, I find that I want to bring these two worlds together more often than not. I have met so many talented estheticians who have big dreams, mega talent, and unfortunately limited professional skills to help them land (and keep) their dream job in esthetics. The one thing I learned from human resources is that employers get zillions of resumes and no one is unique unless they work at it. It starts with the resume, it needs to be target-specific, meaning it needs to focus on the area you want to land a job in. If you want to work in a medical spa for example, then you need to bring to the table something that will make you med-spa friendly--medical terminology course, familiarity with a medical grade line, and/or you worked in a medical environment before.

The other thing employers like to see are candidates who have demonstrated the desire to further their education. Take classes beyond your basic licensing courses. It shows that you are passionate about your field and that you won't wait for the employer to require you to take a course, but you will be self-motivated to evolve in your esthetics career.

Finally, and I talk about this all the time--professionalism. This one is so important. Professionalism is your look, your attitude, your outfit, your body language etc. It is the way you present yourself; conduct yourself; and the way you engage with the employer. If you even have a hint of unprofessionalism, I can promise you, your resume will go right into the circular file (a.k.a. trash can). I have seen many resumes land in the trash despite the staff telling the candidate that they will retain their resume for a year. Keep your resume in the active file, and blast the employer away with your astute professionalism.

1 comment:

  1. My husband is going to school right now to be in human resources- following in his uncle's footsteps (he is a director for a hotel in NJ). And I agree with everything you said! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete