Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How to Choose the Right Esthetics School?

Choosing your esthetics school will be one the biggest decisions you ever make--BEFORE YOU JUMP INTO A CHOICE CONSIDER THIS:

(1) Look at several schools, both private and community colleges.
(2) Find out the prices of the schools including uniforms, shoes, and kit. This might vary from school-to-school.
(3) Don't confuse fancy bells and whistles with high quality education.
(4) Receiving a student loan is not free money, and a lot of graduates have sticker shock when they get their first payment due compared to their esthetician salary.
(5) Consider class size.
(6) Most importantly ASK if the instructor was a former esthetician-this may seem like a silly question, but many esthetician instructors only worked as cosmetologists, and you want an instructor who can give you real world experience.No offense to all you wonderful cosmetologists out there...we certainly need and love you all!

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to be an esthetician for as long as I can remember. I am hearing though that it is not the best salary. I really don't want to put myself in debt and not be able to pay it off. Would I be better off with nursing school and assist Dermatologist with lasers and peels and botox I would love your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e manticoff,
      Thanks for posting. I wouldn't say "it is not the best salary" necessarily. I think that is dependent on many factors from location of the spa to your market niche. I would be cautious going into debt for any career, especially esthetics because many junior colleges offer a good quality education for a lower cost than a private beauty school. More and more graduates are coming out of ANY college in MEGA DEBT, so I would advise anyone thinking about college to think about the debt ratio to income potentially earned. It doesn't mean you shouldn't take a loan to futher your education, it just means take pause at hefty loans, and make sure it is the right decision for you. www.clarkhoward.com has great financial advise for college planning.
      I think esthetics is a terrifc field if you are passionate about it. I don't think you are "better off with nursing school" because it depends on your passion. Me personally, you couldn't pay me a million bucks to be a nurse, I hate the sight of blood. I think if you like the medical field that nursing and esthetics would be a great combination field for you to get your foot in the door of a doctor's office. Choosing a career path is a very personal choice that only you can decide. I would make a pro's and con's list for all of your options, and then let your heart guide you while keeping your eyes open to the facts. Good Luck!

      Delete