Friday, March 9, 2012

What You Wish Your School Had Told You-More with Jamie

What do you wish your school would have told you about the esthetics world that you had to learn on your own?

I think the one thing I felt a bit "lost" with was the understanding of "running my own" business. I mean I guess in a sense I realized I would be, but, honestly, the insight wasn't there...I never realized the different kinds of contracts and what commission base and being paid by the hour was...I have worked my entire life, but, this type of business is and can be totally different, depending on the company you choose to work within. I think having a better knowledge of what it GOOD commission base, verses bad and how to figure out if paying a huge rental is worth it when you have clients and how it figure that out on your own. Understanding the paperwork side...I know compared to learning "hands on" stuff it's incredibly boring to think about...but it's VERY valuable, knowing what is expected in the "real world"  and all the state things I had to have beyond just having a license. (Insurance, if you practice within a salon of any kind and you are not an "employee" you have to pay a space fee yearly to the state I live in, plus a city license, plus federal/state tax identification so you can claim and file; and all the things you can claim; there are a TON of stuff you may not realize you can claim for your business.

What do you think you did differently than other newly licensed estheticians that landed you a job?

I started sending out "cold call" type of resumes. I had no great leads, however, I still sent them to several local salons in my area. Places I knew could be big enough to support having an Esthetician on staff...I was lucky. I think not giving up and getting frustrated even if you have to take something that's not necessarily what you want ideally, you might have to take something crappy until you get some experience and then you can get the "dream" job/position you really want.  

Learn more about Jamie at: http://jamiesesthetics.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment