Friday, March 9, 2012

Interview with Esthetician Jamie-Jobs


Interview with Jamie, esthetician, from Pacific Northwest Region.
Hi, Jamie. Thanks for joining us today. Your esthetics experiences will certainly help future estheticians. You can learn more about Jamie at: http://jamiesesthetics.wordpress.com
During the interview process, I asked Jamie six questions. This blog will focus on two questions; future blogs will continue to follow Jamie’s answers to these other questions.
(
1) What type of spa/salon do you work for?
I work at a “small town” Salon/Day Spa; I am the only Esthetician that practices, I have a small room that I do my services within. A couple stylists will and can do waxing, however, they seem to not want or desire to it; they do it when clients need it ASAP and I am working at my other job. I pay a small rent and then since it’s essentially my “own business” I pay for the state tax/federal tax, I have to pay a space fee to the state (very ridiculous fee), a city license and I cover my expenses; all money made is otherwise mine. My job # 2 I am also utilizing my Esthetics license; it’s located in local mall; we have a large KIOSK (sitting in center isle of said mall) with 3 salon style-type chairs where we service clients with “threading” it’s another way of hair removal. This job I work by the hour, minimal wages, but the tips are good, this job is good, and I am constantly busy from start to end of my shifts and it does get to be a strain on my back, neck and jaw after working with several clients, one after the other.

(2) How long did it take you to find your first esthetics job after graduating and getting your license?
The economy is slow and it’s a difficult job market right now, finding my first “job” wasn’t easy, I went to a lot of interviews and I was mainly not hired due to “not enough experience” but…w/o getting work I couldn’t get any. I sent out my resume to local salons within a short driving area of my home and a local VERY close by salon called me within the following few days.  I was offered the room, very cheap rent and I could paint and do what I chose. I had to spend extra money to start myself in this salon, and it was and is difficult, but, I am slowly gaining clientele and I feel encouraged. I completed my training and passed state board exams (2 of them) in March, and was working at the little salon by mid-June. My # 2 job I was hired in mid-December.

No comments:

Post a Comment