Monday, July 29, 2013

Recently Licensed Esthetician: Meet Cindy

 
 
 
                                 Bio:Cindy Caprio is in her early 40's, she is both a wife and mother of a loving young son. Recently, Cindy has had some serious health issues, but despite the health issues and having a family she managed to maintain a 4.0 overall GPA and start her own makeup business. Cindy recently passed her state boards, and she is officially an esthetician now.
 
Cindy rocks her 40's with her gorgeous skin and hip makeup, and she is truly a talented lady. I am proud to interview her--so join me to learn more about this newly licensed esthetician!
 
 
 
 

(1) Why did you choose esthetics?
"My passion has always been skincare, makeup, wellness and health."

(2) What challenges did you encounter during school?
"It's definitely a challenge being an older student and juggling a family along with a new business. My passion for esthetics and makeup continues to drive me and gives me engery I need every day. I live, eat, and breathe skin care and makeup as I can't get enough information on it and I am constantly online researching and networking."

(3) What prompted you to go to esthetics' school at this stage in your life?
"My husband encouraged me to go back to cosmetology school (previously went & dropped out due to the passing of my mother), but I told him my 'ship had sailed' -I honestly thought it was too late in my life to start up something new and I was concerned about the high cost of a trade school. The only thing that came to my mind was either going back to cosmetology school or becoming an esthetician. I knew I couldn't go back to cosmetology school because of my back and shoulder issues from a fall so I decided to get into the field of esthetics."

(4) While you were in school you started your own makeup business. Can you tell us a little bit about that?
"I got into makeup over 20 years ago--typically working on friends and family when events would come up. I decided to take that passion of Makeup Artistry and start up my own freelance business while I was in school. I started a website, a Facebook page, made up business cards and postcards and currently working on a brochure to add on other services. It wasn't too difficult to start up and the start up fees were very affordable. I haven't gotten too much work yet, but that's okay, I just continute to update my Facebook page daily and constantly try and network and hand out my cards to just about anyone that will take them."

(5) You just recently passed your state boards. Can you tell us about that? Any tips for readers?
"I am very excited to have recently obtained my state license--it's the most exciting feeling imaginable. All of the hard work of putting in the hours at school and endless studying is an amazing feeling of accomplishment. I studied 60 hours in 5 days to prepare for state boards. Mainly I focused on all the definitions from each of the chapters. If you know the definitions then you know the answers on the test questions by process of elimination. Definitely do flash cards on the chapters that you aren't comfortable with. The night before I went over the tasks with my model for the practical portion. My tip is just to block out the proctor and do what you know, that's what I did and I didn't skip a beat!"



(6) What are your plans for the future?
"I am definitely looking to continue with my Makeup Artistry as a freelancer and I am currently looking for work as an an esthetician. I haven't narrowed it down yet as to where I want to work, I think getting my feet with with interviews even if it's with places I may not want to work at is a great idea. I go with my gut instincts and I will know when that perfect position is presented to me. As anxious as I am to get to work I am not rushing it as I want to make sure I find a place that I will be happy with. I also know it will take time to build a clientele and I probably won't have a steady income for a couple of years, but I am okay with that. Things will come around eventually; it takes hard work and determination to be successful."
Update: Cindy is doing an interview and a facial on a spa owner as I write this blog! Congrats Cindy--I hope you get the job!

(7) Any advice for older estheticians, and older women thinking about going into esthetics?
" Age is just a number and you can do anything you want to do as long as you put your mind to it."

Scroll down to see Cindy's amazing Makeup jobs and her website and Facebook page. If you like what you've seen today--please like her page!


www.makeupartistrybycindy.com
https://www.facebook.com/makeupbycindy?ref=hl







 








No comments:

Post a Comment