Saturday, July 13, 2013

My Costs Involved in Working as an Independent Contractor


My Start Up Costs as an Independent Contractor

 
 
Before you jump into independent contractor status make sure you know the realities of what it will cost you. In some situations, it won't cost you much at all to work as an independent contractor as the owner will provide all equipment and necessary supplies. There are pro's and con's to working for a place that you don't have to bring anything--the obvious one is there is no start up costs to you--the second is you don't have to research equipment and meet with skin care reps to pick the perfect line.
It is easier to go in as an independent contract in a spa that provides everything, but you lose a little bit of business control when you do this. If you want to plan your own menu of services, pick and customize your own skin care line, and decide what type of equipment to use then definitely go the route of purchasing your own supplies and equipment. While the initial investment can cause sticker shock to the most seasoned pros, it can be an exhilarating experience to be in charge of your own business journey.
Previously, I worked as an independent contractor for a place that picked their own product lines and equipment. I did get to creatively tweak their menu of services, but it wasn't much fun using product lines I didn't love--okay, I didn't like all that much either. They were good product lines, but too medical for my preferences.
So now, I am working as an independent contractor at a spa where it is perceived as my business, and I have to bring all my own equipment, supplies and skin care line. It is a great opportunity, but it is not for everyone. The costs of just a skin care line backbar alone is expensive much less the equipment that goes with it. The spa I work at provides the facial chairs, linens, towel cabbies, advertising and of course the rent (high rent district that I wouldn't be able to afford on my own). Below are some of the fees I've incurred to establish myself in this spa:
 
Liability Insurance Renewal ($211.00)
Steamer/Mag Light ($189.00)
Rolling/Locking Cart ($89.00)
Image Skin Care Line ($1,100.00)--modest supply
Cuccio Back Facial Supplies($50.00)
Misc. Supplies-($200.00)
Electric Machine Mini- ($500.00)
 
(Remember to keep all receipts, some of these items listed above might be tax deductible--see your tax advisor.) The benefit of owning all my equipment is that I can take all of this with me and go to another spa, and/or booth rent should I be inclined to do so. There is also the option of reselling the equipment. In the end, it is a personal choice that estheticians have to make for themselves, I decided that this was the right move for me, and that I liked being in control of my own business. I am in charge of my pricing, specials, packages etc. and not dependent on the owner to decide my business fate. The owner and I have mutually beneficial partnership to work together as a team to build business together.

No comments:

Post a Comment