Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My Treatment Room Busting at the Seams!

Okay, so I am lucky enough to be working in a beautiful beach town running my own business under the umbrella of an established business.  I am truly blessed to have secured this position because the owner had her pick of estheticians...there was only one spot available to work at this location and I got it. So I am in my first couple weeks, and while I loved my treatment room, I was literally busting at the seams with all my equipment, supplies and skin care products. During my last appointment, I felt like I couldn't find a Zen place--there was too much chaos with all the equipment and supplies taking up all the room. I didn't want to complain to the owner of the spa because she is super sweet, and she has given me the opportunity to run my business as I see fit under her business. I could never afford the high rent in this area nor the advertising costs she incurs each month, and so I have much gratitude for her picking me, but this treatment room was not conducive to an esthetics' practice.

I didn't know what to do because the last thing I wanted to do was to appear ungrateful for the wonderful partnership she has given me. I certainly did not want to rock the boat, but at the same time I knew this room would not work for me. So, I asked her if she could meet me in my treatment room so we could discuss some options on how to make my room more treatment friendly and less cumbersome. I explained that I didn't want to disturb my client with all the bumping into the equipment I would surely end up doing in this set-up, and I needed her help brainstorming ways to make this a more esthetics' friendly treatment room as opposed to a massage friendly treatment room. To be fair, massage therapists only need their hands to do their jobs, we need lots of cumbersome equipment.

So, after a nice discussion with the owner she agreed to give me the largest room available, and now I can spread out and feel comfortable. Sometimes having a candid conversation with an owner is important to getting your needs met, especially with owners who are not licensed in the beauty industry as is in my case. Sometimes these owners can't understand what your needs are because they have never been an esthetician, and they have no idea why you need all that equipment or why you can't squeeze it into a tiny space without hurting yourself or your customers. I think the key to success here is having open communication, and working with an industry or non-industry owner in finding a balance in what will and won't work in your business. You both have mutual goals, and that is to make money, and if you are both divided that can't happen. If you can come together as a team and keep the dialogue open, it serves a much greater purpose for you both=success.

No comments:

Post a Comment