Friday, August 2, 2013

Skin Cancer Screenings: Why You Need Them--See My Pics & You Might Think Twice About Getting One



So back in Jan. 2013 I brought you my original blog about my annual skin cancer screening. I ended up having "Atypical Nevus" which is technically a benign mole that shares some characteristics with Melanoma, which as you might imagine could be problematic. This blog is a follow-up, what should have been a routine 6 month follow-up to my mole biopsy turned into yet another biopsy on the same mole! Here is the original blog and then I will continue with the new story below: http://gracerileypublishing.blogspot.com/2013/01/estheticians-corner-skin-cancer_14.html
 
Update on my Mole Biopsy
This past week I went for my 6 month check-up for the mole that came back as "Atypical Nevus" which is doctors' language for a mole that has unusual cells floating around under the microscope. I was told by my first doctor that they just take a look at it and if it looks normal they don't do anything unless it changes over time. I went in for a visit with a new doctor, and he did an entire skin cancer screening and sent me out the door with a clean bill of health. The next day, I get a call from the nurse stating that he received my original pathology reports, and he wanted me to come in for a deeper biopsy to make sure no cancer is actually in there. Fabulous, right? So much for the clean bill of health!
 
8/2/13 This is prior to my biopsy today--this is what the mole looks like 6 months following the first biopsy. The pigment is a little dark apparently--according to the doctor. It is the small, dark circle.
8/2/13-This is what it looks like after the deeper biopsy.--
 
 
                             So I am left with this ugly hole in my leg, and it is a reminder that not only does sun and tanning beds cause abnormalities, but simple moles on our bodies can cause problems. Genetics, sun, the frequency of moles on our bodies, and our skin pigment are all factors of who gets skin cancer!  I nearly passed out today in the office, as I looked up at the bright lights and the nurse shot my leg a few times with the numbing agent--but I think what made me feel sick was that feeling of "WHAT IF IT IS CANCEROUS?"
I went back for my 6 month check up and this is what happened, now think about people who never go to the dermatologist.

                             . What would happen to people who wait years to get moles and their entire bodies scanned? Would it be too late to treat? How deep would their scars be? Would it be fatal?

                            I don't know if I am out of the woods on this one yet as I have to wait two weeks. I am going to try not to worry about it until it is something to worry about, but I imagine if I had waited too long, what probably is treatable, may not have been treatable any longer.

                        So why am I telling you this? My hope by sharing this story is that you will consider adding an appointment to your calendar, to make your annual skin cancer screening an important part of your life--because it could save your life. Remember, many hospitals offer free screenings, so get checked today!



No comments:

Post a Comment