Sunday, August 18, 2013

Esthetics: How to Sell a Service Not on the Menu



It sounds counterproductive to sell a service not on the menu, but I've found that selling services to specific clients keeps my appointment book filled. Early on, in my discussions with the owner of the spa where I work I wanted to bring on teen facials, but she was adamantly against them. She said our client base was too old. There wasn't any business for teen facials. I had to accept this because it is her business and she knew her clientele much better than I did. Secondly, it was her business and I could only push so hard without losing the job.

I had a client a few days ago that wanted to chat during the whole service. I generally let the client lead the way and determine if they want to relax and sleep, or if they want to chat. My clientele is about 50/50. I usually try to steer them away from conversation so they can relax, but I have several clients that love to chat. Anyway, recently I had a new client who wanted to talk through the entire facial and during that conversation she mentioned having a 13 year-old daughter.

I decided to be my own advocate and talk up the "teen facials" and "make up" lessons that I do. I explained that while they aren't on the menu that I do an educational facial that teaches the child about good skin care. I didn't clear it with the owner first, but after her facial ended she booked not only another facial for herself, but she booked one for her teenager as well. The owner of the spa was not angry at me for offering this service, no instead she was delighted that I am booking more business. This lady that booked services happens to be the PTA President of a local middle school, so if I do a good job with her daughter that could potentially bring me in more clients if she tells other parents.

I don't know if the owner of the spa will ever add "teen facials" on the service menu, but at least I found that I can generate more appointments by talking about services on and off the menu. Clients won't book if they don't know what you offer. Clients don't know about all the great services if you don't tell them about it. Even if it is on your menu, clients might not realize how these services can help them if you aren't your own walking advertisement for it. If you have a chance to talk to a client make sure you are highlighting the services that you do and you might end up with more bookings.

No comments:

Post a Comment