Friday, August 2, 2013

Meet Gladys--Learn How She Secured a Job Fresh Out of School

Meet Gladys

I am so excited to introduce to you this classical beauty who is just as sweet and nice to talk to as she is beautiful. I speak with so many students on a regular basis, but there are certain students that resonate with me, and Gladys is one of those students. It is an honor to write a blog about her not just because she is a endearing, but because she is truly a professional role model every esthetician student can look up to. Read the blog below to learn more about this amazing esthetician.

                                                                       Bio:
 
"I am 40 years old, married and a mother of a 10-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl. I am originally from Argentina and have lived in the United States for the past 15 years. My professional background is in Marketing and Communications and I hold a Masters in Communications from Columbia University.
I like in Hartsdale, a quiet, enjoyable suburb in the outskirts of New York City. I enjoy spending time outdoors, gardening and cooking when my busy life allows for this. About a year ago I decided the industry I was in afforded me no flexibility whatsoever and wasn't really something I was passionate about. I armed myself with courage and decided to follow may passion: esthetics and skin care.
I love the North East but long term I hope to one day move down south where I can enjoy warmer winters and continue to practice esthetics."

Gladys, congratulations--you've just passed your esthetics' test--please tell us how you go a 98! What was your secret?
"I think the trick was to study hard for each individual exam and take things very seriously from day one. By the time we started reviewing all the material during our last week, all the information was coming back to me. The less conscientious and dedicated you are at the beginning, with each test, the more difficult it will be when you reach the review stage. Once we completed the theory part of the program, I had two months of clinic at the school's day spa so during that time I kept reading articles from trade magazines and blogs, such as Grace Riley's, to keep some of the terminology fresh in my mind."

What did you like about esthetics' school? What did you dislike about it?
" I loved most things about it from the very beginning. I had always had an interest in esthetics but learning the science behind it, as well as skin conditions and ingredients was amazing. Getting that hands-on experience at the school's day spa helped me gain confidence in my work. If I had to point out one element I didn't like about school, I guess that would be the lack of professionalism, dedication and seriousness I found in some of my classmates."

What product line did you use?
"Our school uses Dermalogica but we also had the opportunity to work with some products from Botanical Science."

How did you balance your family responsibilities with your school responsibilities?
"As as mom of two young kids, juggling family life and school was difficult and stressful, especially at the beginning. I wanted to give the best of me to the program and learn as much as possible. The program is not long so I decided I had to put some of my interests on hold. I knew it was only temporary. I also knew that the more time I dedicated to studying initially, the less stressful it would be towards the end. Having a family that supported me was just as important."

How did you decide to change careers and go into esthetics?
"As a teenager, I had always been intrigued by skin care. However, life took me in a different direction. My parents wanted me to go to college and follow a more traditional career path. After years of being in a corporate environment, I realized I was not doing what made me happy. Moreover, I was most likely never going to achieve the flexibility I needed as a mom of young children. It took me months but I finally made up my mind and I certainly feel it was the best decision."

The ink has barely dried on your passing score, and you already got a job offer. Can you tell us how you prepared for a job before you even graduated?
"Even before I started the program, I was already doing research and looking into potential employers in my area. Any conversation I started had some element of networking involved. I figured that at least one person I connected with would know someone in the industry and that is exactly how I landed this job. For example: I would look at what lines the spas in my area were using and then do as much research as possible on them."

What was the interview process like? What types of questions did they ask? How many interviews did you have?
"I met with the spa owner three times. My first visit was an informal conversation. In my second visit, I was asked to give a facial. My third visit was to evaluate my waxing skills. We also talked about product lines, modalities and what was expected of me. The interviewing process was rather informal but I always maintained the same degree of professionalism, both in my demeanor and my presence. It was not so much about our conversation, but rather about the facial I gave and my waxing skills."

What tips do you have for recent graduates in terms of finding a job? Any other tips about school and/or career advice you could give students?
"Network. Network. Network. However, insignificant the conversation, you never know what it can lead to. Always maintain your best level of professionalism. Have a clear mind as to where you want to be in the long-term, try to identify what it will take to get there and work on that. And, always, always give the best of you. Teachers will notice. Clients will notice. That is your best credential."

What is the one thing you wish you had learned in school that you didn't?
"I wish I had learned more about the business aspect of the profession, how to negotiate fees and rates, what to expect from an employer as a junior esthetician, etc. I feel we leave school ill prepared in this aspect and I believe it is a very important part of the profession."










No comments:

Post a Comment