Friday, March 2, 2012

Estheticians: Do You Wear Gloves?

        As estheticians we are concerned with aseptic procedures and infection control. We meticulously store implements in clean, closed containers and we never double dip. We wash and sanitize our hands. We disinfect before and after customers, but all these protocols help keep our customers safe. What do you do to protect yourself from infectious disease?
       I have thought about this a great deal as I come in contact with soiled linens. I used to handle linens with naked hands, but now I won't touch any dirty linens without protecting myself. You might wonder why you should even consider going through the trouble of wearing gloves to protect yourself, but to me it comes down to Universal Precautions. Remember those? Sure, there might not be blood on the sheets, but do you really know what bacterias your customers harbor?
       All sheets have the potential to carry infectious microorganisms, and it only takes a rub of the eye or nose; a microscopic opening in your skin for Staph to attack your unsuspecting body. You can't look at a client and determine if they are a carrier for Staph, you wear gloves when you come into contact with bodily fluids, why not take extra caution with the potential fluids and other contaminants that scatter the soiled sheets? I don't know about you, but I just assume avoid the risk all together. Gloves are inexpensive, and my health is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment