Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What I've Learned From Esthetics Interviews




Okay, I will be the first to admit I've done my share of esthetician interviews...mainly because I am VERY Picky about where I work and what types of places I will work for.  I have done a lot of interviews, and I have completed trainings and then said "Nope, this isn't my type of spa" and I've turned down a lot of offers. I am not suggesting you do this, but for me I need to be at a place I feel happy at and I feel like the owner has a good, honest vibe (if you read my book Spa Divas: A Place to Hang My License on amazon.com you will understand why I am cautious). So I bring to you some things I've learned in my interviews.

(1) Most important is that you can speak well and that you are clean! You have to be professional, I am sorry you can't come in with dirty hair, chewing gum and talking Gansta.

(2) They want to know that you can SELL retail--how do you do this? You tell them that you don't sell retail you educate clients who then purchase retail products. Owners suck this one right up.

(3) They want to hear that esthetics is your passion, that you live and breathe esthetics. Some will ask you why you went into it.

(4) They want to know how you will handle difficult clients--try to give them an experience.

(5) Know many product lines--they love it if you know several lines because it means you can learn their line easily.

(7) Have marketing tips and ideas ready to spill out of your mouth--they want to hear how you will have grow the business and create new events and ideas to promote the business.

(8) You must be using a good product line yourself--they don't want to hear that you use Aveeno or another over-the-counter.

(9) They love to hear about your own skin issues, and how skin care treatments and products helped you.

(10) They want to see job security--if you left a job have a good reason. Husband transferred is a really good one; you went back to school to pursue more courses in your career; you wanted to try a different type of esthetics. You got to get a good one here or they will think you are a job hopper.

(11) Be able to give them a reference or two immediately. In most of my job interviews, even the ones I was offered, most don't ask for references but be prepared because some do.

(12) Make sure you have liability insurance--some will ask if you have coverage.

(13) Be flexible with your schedule and offer to do continuing education classes--that gets you bonus points that you are willing to be flexible and learn more.

(14) Be a team player--and give examples of you are a team player--specifics.

(15) Most importantly--smile and be friendly--don't get nervous and cut up in interview jitters--act like you are confident and in control.

(16) Some will ask you stupid questions--I kid you not, a doctor asked me "Where I expected to be in 26 years?" How random was that question?

No comments:

Post a Comment