Friday, November 29, 2013

Why You Should Always Include Your Picture With Your Resume


Yes, this is me! I am not a big fan of pictures so you won't see this very often!
 
 
 
Why do you need to include a picture of yourself with every esthetics resume you send out?
You are in the beauty industry, potential employers want to see you are professional and that you have the appropriate look for the business. They want to make sure that you aren't covered in acne; that you look clean and polished; and they want to see that you can project a healthy image to their clients. Can you blame them?  Why not weed out the estheticians that have abused their skin? The ones that have obviously tanned too much for one lifetime..the ones that have visible smoker's skin.
 
Some people consider it antiquated to include a picture with your resume--
Here is what I have to say to that, if what you are doing isn't working now, what does it hurt to include a picture of yourself? Does it hurt to stick out from the crowd? In my opinion, being the one resume remembered for its picture is far better than being one of the zillion resumes forgotten.
I have had several employers tell me the reason they called me was because I included a picture of myself on the resume; it made it easier for them to ascertain whether I was visually appropriate for their spa.
 
Won't employers discriminate against me?
Let's face the facts, all of us estheticians are under a microscope with both employers and people we meet who find out we are esthys. They are going to look at us with scrutiny to make sure our skin is as good as what we preach. I think employers have a right to discriminate on this basis, if you are in the beauty industry you have to expect people to look at you as a beauty role model. You wouldn't go to a hair stylist to get highlights when the hair stylist had severely damaged hair would you? No, because that hair stylist doesn't represent good beauty and health, and you wouldn't trust her with your hair. The same is true with estheticians, no one is going to trust us if we reek of smoke and have sun damaged skin, it is just a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment