Friday, August 24, 2012

Beware:Spa Owners Using Drug Store Products

        This story comes from an esthetician friend of mine, and as I sat and listened to her words, I nearly chocked on the food I was consuming, I couldn't believe the words that flowed off her tongue. I had to ask her to repeat what she had just shared because I had never heard something so unethical in the esthetics' world before.


      My friend works for a very nice spa that charges roughly about $75.00 for a 60 minute facial using Eminence products (if you are not familiar with it, it is a high quality organic line). As with most professional skin care lines, Eminence is an expensive product line, but in my opinion well worth the money for the highly effective ingredients.
    Even in a down economy, it seems people in this particular area are willing to pay for high quality facials using superb products. My friend told me that the owner of the spa where she works, runs out of Eminence frequently, and instead of finding another area store to buy Eminence from ( even if she has to pay retail) or going to the local cosmetology store to buy another professional skin care line, the owner has one of the employees run out to the local drug store to buy the skin care products to replace Eminence. YES, SHE BUYS CHEAP SKIN CARE PRODUCTS AND PRETENDS AS IF SHE IS USING EMINENCE PRODUCTS!
    This owner is putting the estheticians into an ethical dilemma, all the estheticians know that they are cheating their clients, but they are following the owner's orders. What are the estheticians to do? It is a tough economy and I am sure they want to keep their jobs, and she most likely will fire anyone who voices opposition.
     What a horrible spot to be in, the choice between speaking up to your employer or cheating your beloved clients, it is definitely not a situation most estheticians ever want to be in. I think it is completely unethical of this owner to do what she is doing, but in life there will always be liars and cheats. When customers plop down $75.00 they expect that the estheticians are using high quality ingredients on their skin, and at minimum using the products specified in the brochure.          
    So most of you are probably wondering what you do if the spa owner refuses to be honest and use the products advertised, but you can't afford to quit or can't find another job right away? Many of you will not like this answer, but I would buy a couple Eminence samples and keep in my esthetics kit for the day when she will ask you to compromise your ethical standards.I know you don't want to spend the money on samples, but it is far better to spend a little money and know at the end of the day you did the right thing. In the end, you will know that you are an honest and ethical esthetician. And by all means, do your best to find another job quickly! When you submit your resignation, I would voice your concerns about her cheating and misrepresentation to clients as to the reason for your employment departure.
   



No comments:

Post a Comment