Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Does Age Matter in this Industry?

Me & my pup
42 years-old



The number one question sent to me at gracerileypublishing@gmail.com is "Am I too old for esthetics?"
The funny thing is y'all are every age under the sun. What is old? I don't know. I suppose I am old, and I am too stupid to realize it! I don't think of age as an important factor at all. Sure, there is probably age discrimination out in this world, but again I am too busy living my young life that I don't notice it.
Are you too old to go back to esthetics school at 30 (hell no), at 40 (definitely not), at 50 (of course not)? This question always baffles me. If you are still kicking, if you are still healthy, and if you are passionate about beauty and wellness then why shouldn't you go for it? The only regrets in life are the opportunities that we didn't take because of fear, don't let your own age discrimination stand in your way. Yes, ladies you are discriminating against yourself--you are shouting out to the world, "I'm too old. I am worthless!"
You're not! You have so much to offer.
I had a lady recently tell me that she is not getting jobs because she is too old (42 years old). She instead works as a cashier at a grocery store. This lady told me every reason was age was standing in her. My first words to her were, "You are your biggest enemy."
She literally was self-sabotaging. She already had it in her mind that she as only good enough to be a grocery store cashier (no problem if that was her life's ambition, but it wasn't). It comes down to lack of confidence. Instead of this woman reframing her thinking she was completely engulfed in her own self-pity party about why she could never be an esthetician at her age.
I waned to dress her up myself and drag her to interviews. One thing I know about this industry is that age is definitely not going to stop a passionate esthetician from fulfilling their dreams. Not going to happen. Estheticians love their job! They are proud people! We love aging--Why? We do it well!
If any of you 30 plus--even ladies in their 60's plus, if you want to be an esthetician, or if you are licensed but are afraid to get out there, don't be. Do you know what you bring to the table? You bring professionalism, poise, confidence, and a lifetime of connecting to people. Please do not e-mail me and tell me you think you are too old because you're not DEAD! Age is a number ladies, it doesn't have to define you, and it certainly doesn't have to destroy our confidence. You are beautiful! Now, get out there and apply for that job! Don't let the big 30, 40, 50 or 60 stop you! Who cares about age? Has anyone taken a look at Christy Brinkley? Kris Kardashian? Jennifer Aniston? Susan Sarandon? Madonna?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment