Sunday, February 23, 2014

Surviving Your Clinical: The Second Part of the Interview



Most people have anxiety about interviews, but estheticians in particular have an increased dose of stress when it comes to spa interviews. If you are still in esthetics school you might not know what in the world I talking about, but in the esthetics world it is customary for spa owners to receive a facial to make sure you make the grade. Must be awesome being a spa owner!! I would like to conduct some interviews to get some free facials. How do you get through the clinical without stressing?--dropping every loud tool, splashing water in their eyes, masks getting stuck and the list of things that could go wrong when you have high anxiety can make or break your interview.

Remember, you are a professional. You can make a few mistakes and it is likely the owner won't notice if you don't stress. While it can be hard to work in a spa room that you aren't familiar; product line that you might not know; and protocols that might be different than you are used to--but if you stay calm and focused you can make it through the clinical without any major mishaps.

 I had a situation once where I had to use a new product line, and it was going really well--I got the line despite having never used it.  I read the user manual and it was easy and then came the self-drying mask that didn't come off easily. I was mortified and worried that the owner noticed the trouble I was having with this tricky mask. Then I couldn't find a spatula that I needed and then the steamer was way too close to the bed and it felt like it had bumped the treatment bed. Despite the mishaps, the owner loved the facial and offered me the job. I think she offered me the job because I stayed calm, confident and I focused on the entire facial instead of a couple mishaps which could have emotionally caused me to frantic and become anxious thus I would have made bigger, more intrusive mistakes.

While we as estheticians are used to giving facials (either at school or on the job) it never ceases to amaze me how anxious we can become when we know we are being tested and judged. I think it is human nature to be a little worried about how you will perform.

My top tips to a successful clinical interview:
(1) Research the product line--familiarize yourself with the products. If you have the money in your budget buy one or two samples on Ebay.
(2) Learn everything you can about the spa. If it is a chain spa and you have it in your budget, get a facial from that place.
(3) Visit www.glassdoor.com and www.indeed.com to read reviews from former employees (if it is a larger company).
(4) Watch product line videos online from skin care company so you know exactly how to perform their facials.

No comments:

Post a Comment