Saturday, January 18, 2014

Falsies--Eyelash Extension Courses to Build Your Biz

I have been wanting to step up my eyelash extension skills, and while I learned strip and cluster falsies in school, I wanted to branch out into the semi-permanent eyelash biz. The strip and cluster lashes don't last very long where the semi-permanent can last up to two weeks (or longer for some lucky people). I could have taught myself but I decided to sign up for some courses, and one of the classes I enrolled in was "Natural Lash" online because it is approved by the Associated Skin Care Professionals and upon passing the course I will be rewarded with a pretty, little certificate that I can turn into the ASCP to get coverage for eyelash extension. Currently, most esthetic insurance does not cover you for accidents with falsies! Most likely neither does your employer--they might tell you that you are covered but make sure before touching any one's eye area.

Falsies of any kind are better than the eyelashes I was born with, and while I don't normally wear lashes every day it is nice to have bold eyes when I feel like it. Some people will not be seen without their falsies so going the semi-permanent route is ideal. As an esthetician who has not had much opportunity to get practice with this on the job, I decided I want to learn more. I went on an interview where the current estheticians were doing these semi-permanent falsies, and I wanted to feel competent as well. That is how I got to "Natural Lash."

I enrolled in the class, and the price is enough to make you want to fall over, but hey this is to help my career. It was $325.00 with my mannequin head (you don't have to purchase this if you still have one from school) and all the included supplies which are the following: lashes of various sizes, adhesive, adhesive remover, tools, eye-gel patches, eye solution, blower, brow brushes, and other misc. tools for success. When you sign up for your course you schedule a date about 7-10 days from purchase to allow for your kit to arrive. You have 3 days to complete your course so make sure you allow plenty of time to read and do all the quizzes, and allow for practice time. I have kids--I didn't plan this well at all--I planned it for a weekend and let's just say lashes and kids don't mix! Chaos!

The course is pretty easy and the videos are enough to get you started doing the lashes. It has different modules and you have to complete each module and then take the quiz. You have three attempts to pass each section with a 100%. You would have to be on another planet if you can't pass these quizzes--they seem to be designed to help everyone succeed. Remember, if you can't get it the first two times you have a final third time to get it right.

The course is a great basic course for learning how to apply these semi-falsies, but the bottom line is you still have to rely on your own skill and technique to master this. I am not even close yet. I will probably spend at least a half hour to an hour a day practicing until I get it right--on both live models and mannequins. It is not as easy as watching videos and perfecting the craft. These are eyes we are working with, and sticking a sharp object and adhesive and a lash near that sensitive eye area takes skill and concentration. I admire the eshtys that already have this technique down--and let me tell you they deserve every penny they make doing this because it is hard work.

The course goes through the basic sanitation guidelines and contraindications--mostly things that are commonsense or you already learned in esthetics school. Then they talk about marketing and how to set prices, and of course all the other products you can buy at wholesale from "Natural Lash." 
Then it teaches through videos and written instructions how to pick up lashes and do it efficiently (yeah I got that part down quickly) and then it goes on to teach how to put them on (I am not so good at this yet) and then how to remove them.

Some of the other courses, both online and live- in person are $599.00. The benefit of live classes are that you get a two-way communication with instructor help right then. "Natural Lash" will offer free questions and answers with their reps after the course for a limited time, but I feel like in person would be better. If you are on a time crunch and too busy with your current job this is the perfect answer to learning more without having to attend a live class.

Personally, for $325.00 I would have like to received a little more in supplies and books. "Natural Lash" will not allow you to print any documents from your course. While I understand their need to protect their copyright, as a student of their course, I might want to flip back through the notes in a couple weeks and I won't have that option. I think for $325.00 they could kick in a workbook. They do include a place where you can download customer forms, but no actual book of information for students to go back and review.

Estheticians don't always make a ton of money, especially early on in their careers, and I think some of these post-graduate courses including "Natural Lash" are pretty steep. While I understand they are in business to make money, it is certainly hard for struggling estheticians who are trying to expand their knowledge base and money-making potential to drop $325.00 for a course. I am all about estheticians expanding their education, but now post-graduate courses seem to be BIG BUSINESS--with the bottom line being the most important part--not the education.

All and all I would recommend "Natural Lash" for estheticians who want to get a certificate for insurance purposes and possibly add some good revenue to their businesses, but I would balance that with how much money you allot to your post-graduate courses. Only you can decide what courses are best for your future. Good luck to you all! Grace Riley.

 
Some of the included supplies.
 
 
My Mannequin



No comments:

Post a Comment