Saturday, June 29, 2013

Esthetics Interview: How I Prepared for the Interview

Many of my followers know that I am in the process of moving, and with that relocation comes the dreaded job search! I had been looking on the Internet for that perfect job for some time now, but there weren't a lot of esthetics' jobs that were a right fit for me. I looked for an esthetics' position that spoke to me, one that I knew I would be really good at and one that would inspire me. Some of you are probably scratching your heads right about now and wondering if it matters if the esthetics' job inspires you when it is a job. It really depends on your outlook, if you are fresh out of school you might want to take the first job that comes along, but that doesn't mean at any point in your esthetics' career you shouldn't look for the right fit. You might have to take something temporarily even if it isn't your dream job because you have have bills to pay. It doesn't hurt though to try to find yourself and where you want to be within esthetics, and find that match between your needs and the employer's needs.
 
My recent interview is a 360 degree turn around for me. My last job was a clinical position, and it was a NO FRILLS type of place. I had no choice in the skin care lines, my hours or any of the specials they ran. I had no creative input at all, it was like being an esthetics robot. I still enjoyed working with the customers, but it didn't inspire me. Anyway, I had an opportunity to go on a job interview in one of the top 20 richest communities in the country (I don't live in this town lol) and I ran with it. I knew very little about the spa or the owner, but I got on their website and read about it. I e-mailed her prior to the interview to get more details about her market and customers.
It turns out that she is a holistic massage therapy studio that serves high end customers, and she wants to add esthetics to the list of services. So I compared some of the skin care lines to what her goal is in providing for her customers. She wants to provide mostly organic services with a high end appeal to her wealthy, older clients.
 
I really thought about and studied skin care lines, and what would be good for her. I thought about myself and what value I added to her spa. WHAT I COULD BRING TO THE TABLE? I also spent a lot of time grooming myself before the interview--I picked out a nice, professional outfit and asked others for their opinion. I made sure that I wore makeup, not too heavy but enough to show that I can do makeup as well. My nails were painted, my jewelry was apparent but not gaudy. I made sure to make sure my appearance was top notch, and that I looked like a professional before entering her spa. Upon my arrival, I looked her in the eye and introduced myself and of course my manners were fit for a queen!
 
At the interview, I brought two binders of information from the manufacturers of these skin care lines and I brought samples of several of the products. In addition, I created a menu of services to give her as an example of things that I would think would be good for her spa. Remember, I knew little about her business, but she was delighted that I was so prepared for the interview and that I wanted to make my services truly fit her spa. Instead of just offering facials, I really thought about her spa and what might work. I also had a copy of my esthetics' license, liability insurance and a list of references pre-printed.
 
My interview was over an hour long, and that was certainly positive, but getting hired on the spot was even sweeter! This is the second esthetics' job that I have been offered on the spot, and while I make no claims to be an expert, I believe my experiences can help you. The first owner that hired me on the spot said she hired me because I knew a lot of product lines (from different schools), and at this recent interview, the owner said she hired me because she could see my level of organization and detail, and my passion and love for this field.
 
So this is just my little tidbit about my recent interview, I hope it helps you in your esthetics' career journey. As I embark on this wonderful new opportunity, I will bring you more experiences that I have.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment