Monday, November 26, 2012

Hoarding the Clinic Floor: Building Confidence as an Esthetics Student

The first time you do a facial on a real live client in school might be one of the most exciting and frightening days of your life. I remember the first client I ever had, it was a man, not just a man, but a man with a serious case of acne. I was absolutely terrified. I decided to just breathe, go in there and introduce myself and pretend that I was confident despite being terrified. Of course, I survived and the man turned out to be super sweet.

After that day, I made sure to volunteer to take every client I could while I was in school. It didn't matter if it was a facial or a waxing; I wanted to get in there and build my confidence. Forcing yourself to jump in and work on all kinds of people is the best way to build confidence. You can't gain this hands on type of confidence by hiding when a certain type of client comes in, instead embrace and use it as valuable moment to build your esthetics confidence. Depending on your school you might not have a choice in the rotation schedule, some teachers will ask who wants to work on the next client, and some will have a rotation system in place.

In addition to taking clinic clients, consider (assuming your state allows this) offering your services for free to family & friends at your home or theirs. This will help you build your skill level, you will make mistakes, but since you are familiar with these people you won't be as intimidated by it.  Doing as many facials and waxings you can both in and out of school is a powerful way to build up your esthetics self-esteem. When you graduate you will be seasoned in esthetics, and ready for that new career.

Grace Riley author of JumpStart Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

No comments:

Post a Comment